Wednesday, July 21, 2010

medical oddities

So you all know about my mysterious three year headache
but did you know...
that occasionally after I stand up my vision tunnels until everything is black and I have to hold onto something so I don't fall over

a couple of times I have literally collapsed from this

but this hadn't happened to me for I think like over a year

but then a couple days ago up til now like every other time I stand up it happens

this isn't exactly good since sometimes I need to get somewhere quickly
having to pause to wait for my vision to clear and the dizziness to pass isn't good.

and because I hate going to the doctor this problem may never be puzzled out
I don't see any immediate danger more of an annoyance

oh as a note

remember once in a while you should close the computer turn off the tv and read a book

it may make you think more but thats a good thing.

love,
anne katherine

4 comments:

trudy said...

low blood pressure. They wouldn't let me get surgery until they figured it out. hmmmm something to look into.

Anne Katherine said...

my blood pressure is always normal

try again

Brandi said...

I agree with your mom--low blood pressure.

It's not that your blood pressure is always low. It's just that sometimes if your pressure is on the lower end of normal (and remember, "normal" varies from person to person), suddenly standing causes a sudden drop in pressure that causes exactly what you described. When you're vision clears, that's your pressure getting back to normal.

I would also suggest maybe having your thyroid checked (just a simple blood test). That's one of the ways they found my thyroid issues. I had a constant headache for weeks (which I realize is different than YEARS, but still...) but then sometimes I'd have the tunnel vision and fainting like you described.

Your blood pressure is controlled by the thyroid (among other things). Mine was in overdrive most of the time causing high blood pressure and a headache, and then would normalize once in a while and my blood pressure would get temporarily low (low for me, which is actually normal for most other people).

Brandi said...

O.K., here's another thought--perhaps you have chronic low blood pressure. Low blood pressure can cause a headache.

One of the reasons it could have gone away when you first visited BYU is because going to a high altitude when you're normally in a low altitude causes a temporary increase in blood pressure. So, for those few days you were there, your blood pressure was in the normal range.

Again, where your numbers fall on the chart is not always an accurate gauge of low or high blood pressure. If you consistently have symptoms of low blood pressure, you probably have it, even if the numbers say otherwise.