Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Why Yes I am American

And no I'm not an Idiot. Yes I do speak German. Yes I understood all of that. No I don't want to translate absolutely every little thing for you. Yes I do understand the text better than you since it's in my native tongue -it's not that exciting.

I'm sorry but how do I get labeled as a lazy american who can't understand any of the language she's studying from asking 2 questions in English. Mind you--this was in a English class and the questions had nothing to do with what she had said in German.

This just annoys me. I'm definitely a minority at my school any Americans I do meet are typically only here for  a year--I'm here for my entire program. I've done the work to get into the school. I've put in the hours learning German. That doesn't mean I want to talk in German all the time or that I'm even being lazy. I feel like I'm perfectly justified in speaking in English in one of my English classes.

Just hope this doesn't make me dislike that TA for the rest of the year...

No comments: